Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy Embracing Girl Power on Purpose
“I wish you power that equals your intelligence and your strength. I wish you success that equals your talent and determination. And I wish you faith.” – Dr. Betty L. Shabazz
The Delta Academy is designed to offer opportunities to young women of great promise who might otherwise be excluded because they lack support, resources, and encouragement. The Delta Academy recognizes the disadvantages many young women in various communities’ face because of gender, income, age, and parental resources despite the personal potential of the girls themselves. A primary goal of the Academy is to prepare these young women for full participation in the 21ST century world.
The Delta Academy is designed for young women who meet the following criteria:
- Is 11 to 14 years of age.
- Demonstrates great academic and personal promise; lacks support and encouragement.
- Shows interest in developing leadership skills.
- Shows interest in community action and social change.
- Shows interest in non-traditional STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) careers.
Taken from: National Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy Curriculum Manual
Dr. Jeanne L. Noble Delta GEMS
Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully
Delta GEMS was created to catch the dreams of African American at-risk, adolescent girls aged 14-18. Delta GEMS provides the frame work to actualize those dreams through the performance of specific tasks that develop a CAN DO attitude. The goals for Delta GEMS are:
- To instill the need to excel academically
- To provide tools that enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic success;
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their futures high school and beyond; and
- To create compassionate, caring, and community minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
The Delta GEMS program offers a road map for college and career planning conducts activities that provide opportunities for self-reflection and individual growth.